Ziti with Broccoli and PotatoesTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
A hearty recipe combining broccoli, potatoes and pasta.
Prep Time: 20 min(s)
Cook Time: 25 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: mcarr
Posted On: Feb 25, 2012
Number of Servings:
- 3/4 pounds - potatoes peeled, diced
- 4 cups - broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons - olive oil
- 1 - large onion cut in 1-inch chunks
- 4 cloves - garlic slivered
- 3/4 teaspoons - salt
- 1/2 teaspoons - dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoons - freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoons - dried marjoram
- 12 ounces - ziti pasta
- 1/3 cups - grated parmesan cheese
1. Start heating a large pot of water to boiling for the broccoli and the pasta. In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes with water to cover, bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 2 cups of the potato cooking liquid.
2. Cook the broccoli in the large pot of boiling water until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the broccoli to a colander to drain. Reserve the boiling water for the pasta.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until hot but not smoking over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion has softened, about 7 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, salt, sage, pepper, and marjoram and cook until the potatoes begin to brown and form a crust, about 7 minutes. Add the broccoli and 1 cup of the reserved potato liquid and cook until the broccoli is heated through, about 2 minutes longer.
4. Meanwhile, cook the ziti in the reserved boiling water until just tender. Drain well. Transfer the ziti to a large bowl, add the broccoli mixture and the remaining 1 cup potato liquid, and toss to combine. Spoon the ziti mixture into 4 shallow bowls, sprinkle with the Parmesan, and serve.