Vietnamese Bun MamTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Bun mam is a famous dish in southern Vietnam. This dish is made from vermicelli noodles and fermented fish paste.
Vermicelli noodles, fermented fish paste
Prep Time: 15 min(s)
Cook Time: 30 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: yummyvn
Posted On: Sep 11, 2020
Number of Servings:
- 1 jars - fermented fish paste
- 200 grams - fresh shrimp
- 200 grams - squid
- 200 grams - waterfall strabismus fish
- 200 grams - roasted pork
- 1 - eggplant
- 3 - red chili pepper
- 50 grams - sliced lemongrass
- 2 teaspoons - sliced red shallot, garlic
- 50 grams - scallion, cilantro
- 2 - coconuts
- 1 kilograms - vermicelli noodle
- Wash the squid and slice in bite-size pieces, wash the shrimp then drain out
- Wash waterfall strabismus fish clearly then place in a small saucepan, add more sliced scallion, pepper, salt, 1tsp cooking oil, sliced chili pepper then mix them slightly.
- Wash eggplant clearly, don’t slice until cooking because eggplant can be turn to dark.
- To prepare water spinach, just slide the rod into shreds then put into a bow of cold water for 5-10 minutes. It makes the shreds more curly and crunchy
- Put fermented fish in a saucepan, pour coconut milk that covers double the fermented. Cook on the medium heat till fermented fish dissolved. Occasionally skim off the foam . After 15 minutes turn off the heat and set aside
- Add 500g pork ribs into a large saucepan . Pour water that covers the pork ribs surface, boil well that takes off the impurities from pork ribs, pour the broth away then pour water to boil the pork ribs again. This process will give the broth clear and umami. Stew for 1 hour on small heat.
- Slice eggplant into bite-sized pieces then soak in salted water for 10 minutes to avoid to be dark.
- Mince garlic, chili pepper, red shallot, lemongrass. Add all of them into a pan with cooking oil then sauté till fragrant, finally add sliced eggplant and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Pour fermented fish broth into the saucepan of pork ribs broth. Once the broth is boiled, add eggplant and condiments that stir-fry before into the broth. Heat the small heat to fermented fish broth absorb with ribs broth.
- Cook from 30 minutes to 1 hour then add some chopped garlic chives
- Add season powder, salt or fish sauce to fit your taste.
Prepare broth is the complex process so now the rest steps are quite simple:
- Boil the shrimp slightly then take off the shells,
- Slice squid into rings
- Slice roasted pork into bite-size.
The boiled squid broth can be used to make the bun mam broth more sweet.
- Prepare vegetable platter with shredded water spinach, cilantro, bean sprout, purple basil, fish mint…
- Prepare dipping sauce to dip the sea food:
Pour 2 tsp of fish sauce into small bowl
Add sugar, vinegar, sliced chili pepper then stir well
In a serving bowl, add a handful of vermicelli noodle, top with the cooked shrimp, squid, roasted pork then ladle the broth over. Serve with vegetable platter prepared before