Turkey, Kale and Rice BakeTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
A one-skillet dinner full of celery, kale, tomatoes and brown rice.
Prep Time: 15 min(s)
Cook Time: 30 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
For vegetarian option, substitute tofu for turkey.
Posted By: cookingmama
Posted On: Dec 04, 2012
Number of Servings:
- 1 tablespoons - extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups - leeks thinly sliced, white and light green parts only
- 1 cups - celery thinly sliced
- 4 cups - slivered kale leaves
- 1 cans - diced tomatoes 28 ounces
- 1 cups - low-fat, no-salt-added cottage cheese
- 1 cups - instant or quick-cook brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups - chopped smoked turkey breast
- 1/4 cups - water
- 1 teaspoons - freshly ground pepper or to taste
- 1 cups - extra-sharp cheddar cheese shredded
Heat oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add kale and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cottage cheese, rice, turkey (or tofu), water and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
Stir the rice mixture, increase the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. Spread cheese on top. Broil until the cheese is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.