Texas Style ChiliTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Chunks of chuck roast fill this hearty chili.
Prep Time: 15 min(s)
Cook Time: 120 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: mssavy
Posted On: Dec 19, 2015
Number of Servings:
- 3 pounds - boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/2 teaspoons - salt
- 1/2 teaspoons - ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons - cooking oil
- 4 - large onions chopped
- 3 tablespoons - chili powder
- 3 tablespoons - yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoons - bottled minced garlic
- 1 tablespoons - ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons - dried oregano crushed
- 1/4 teaspoons - cayenne pepper
- 1 cans - 14 oz. beef broth
- 1 1/4 cups - water
- 1 tablespoons - packed brown sugar
- - chopped onion garnish, optional
1. Trim fat from beef and cut into 1/2-inch pieces. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the black pepper. In a 4-quart Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown beef in the hot oil, about one-third at a time. (Add more oil during cooking, if necessary). Remove beef from Dutch oven and set aside.
2. Add chopped onions to Dutch oven; cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in chili powder, cornmeal, garlic, cumin, oregano, and cayenne pepper; cook for 30 seconds.
3. Stir in browned beef, beef broth, water, brown sugar, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
4. Cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until meat is tender. If desired, top each serving with additional chopped onion.