Spiced Chicken and Dates with EndiveTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
A fresh, crunchy dish that falls somewhere between lettuce cup dinner and a big salad.
Prep Time: 0 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Photograph By Emma Fishman, Food Styling By Kendra Vaculin
Posted By: gardner.marilyn
Posted On: Jul 14, 2022
Number of Servings:
- 1/3 cups - raw almonds
- 4 ounces - Medjool dates, pitted, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons - vegetable oil
- 1 pounds - ground chicken
- 4 - scallions, white and dark green parts separated, thinly sliced on diagonal
- 1 pieces - 1" ginger piece, peeled, finely grated
- 2 cloves - garlic, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoons - crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoons - Diamond Crystal or 1/2 tsp. Morton kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons - red curry paste
- 2 - large or 3 medium endive, leaves separated
- 1/2 cups - mint leaves, torn if large
Preheat oven to 350° F. Toast the almonds on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing once, until slightly darkened and fragrant, about 8 to10 minutes. Let cool, and then coarsely chop.
Meanwhile, place dates in a small bowl and pour in ½ cup hot water to cover; set aside.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Arrange chicken in skillet in an even layer and cook, undisturbed, until golden brown underneath, about 5 minutes.
Add white parts of scallions with the ginger, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 1 tsp. Diamond Crystal or ½ tsp. Morton kosher salt to the skillet and cook, stirring constantly and breaking chicken apart with a wooden spoon, until combined and chicken is no longer pink, about 1 minute.
Add curry paste and cook, stirring constantly, until chicken is evenly coated, about 1 minute. Add reserved dates and soaking water and cook, stirring often, until liquid is evaporated, about 1 minute.
Remove from heat and stir in almonds and dark green parts of scallions. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
To serve, arrange endive on a large platter. Spoon chicken mixture over the endive and top with mint.