Southwestern Vegetable Chicken SoupTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Roasted poblano peppers and garlic give a smoky flavor to this tasty chicken and vegetable soup.
Prep Time: 40 min(s)
Cook Time: 90 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Easy to make ahead and refrigerate for 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months; garnish with lime juice and cilantro just before serving.
Posted By: cookingmama
Posted On: Jan 21, 2013
Number of Servings:
- 2 - medium poblano peppers
- 2 teaspoons - canola oil
- 12 - boneless, skinless chicken thighs trimmed, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups - onion chopped
- 1 1/2 cups - red or green bell pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 cups - green beans cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 4 cloves - garlic minced
- 1 tablespoons - chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons - ground cumin
- 6 cups - reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cans - black or pinto beans 15 oz., rinsed
- 1 cans - diced tomatoes 14 oz.
- 4 cups - chopped chard or spinach
- 1 1/2 cups - corn kernels fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cups - chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cups - fresh lime juice plus lime wedges for serving
To roast poblanos: Position oven rack about 5 inches from the heat source; preheat broiler. Line the broiler pan with foil. Broil whole poblanos, turning once, until starting to blacken, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a paper bag and let steam to loosen skins, about 10 minutes. When the poblanos are cool enough to handle, peel, seed, stem and coarsely chop; set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium and add onion, bell pepper, green beans and garlic. Cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth, beans, tomatoes and the chopped poblanos; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
Add the reserved chicken and juices, chard (or spinach) and corn; return to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes more to heat through and blend flavors.
Top each portion with 1 tablespoon each cilantro and lime juice; serve with lime wedges.