Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken with Chopped Almonds and ApricotsTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Chicken thighs browned and seasoned, simmered in the crock pot with apricots and baby carrots, then topped with almonds before serving.
Prep Time: 30 min(s)
Cook Time: 390 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
I love all the flavors in this dish. It is also great that it goes in the slow cooker in the morning and cooks all day.
Posted By: LegacyCookbook
Posted On: Oct 01, 2017
Number of Servings:
- 2 tablespoons - extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds - bone-in chicken thighs skins removed
- 1 - medium yellow onion peeled and sliced
- 3 cloves - garlic minced
- 1 teaspoons - chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoons - sea salt
- 1 tablespoons - ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons - coriander
- 1/2 teaspoons - cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoons - cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoons - black pepper
- 1/2 cups - unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 cups - unsalted natural almond butter
- 6 ounces - unsweetened dried apricots
- 1 pounds - baby carrots
- - sliced toasted almonds for garnish
- - chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Season chicken generously with salt and pepper. Then add half of the chicken to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes, browning on all sides.
Transfer chicken to a slow cooker and repeat with remaining chicken.
Return the pot to the stove and add onion and garlic; saute for 3 minutes or until tender. Add the ginger, cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cayenne, salt and pepper and saute for 30 seconds or until fragrant.
Stir in chicken stock and almond butter, scraping pot to loosen any browned bits. Pour contents of pot over chicken pieces in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours.
Add the apricots and baby carrots to the slow cooker, cover and cook an additional hour.
Garnish chicken with sliced almonds and fresh cilantro. Serve over cauliflower couscous.