Simplest Puttanesca SauceTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 5
Tomato sauce with capers, olives, anchovies and seasonings, served over pasta.
Prep Time: 20 min(s)
Cook Time: 75 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
If you are sensitive to salt, cut back the quantities of capers, anchovies and olives to reduce the saltiness. Also, adding a splash of heavy cream helps.
Posted By: gardner.marilyn
Posted On: Aug 17, 2022
Number of Servings:
- 1/2 cups - extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cans - 2 oz. anchovy fillets, undrained
- 4 cloves - garlic, crushed
- 1 cans - 28 oz. San Marzano plum tomatoes
- 1 jars - 2.5 oz. or 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1/2 cups - black or kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- - freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 pounds - pasta - shapes like campanelle and orecchiette work well, but use your favorite
Place all ingredients except the pasta into a large pot or wide-mouthed pan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring every so often — use something like a potato masher, a flat-bottomed whisk or wooden spoon to gently crush the tomatoes and the garlic cloves occasionally. The anchovies dissolve on their own, but the tomatoes and garlic need assistance.
Boil pasta in unsalted water; drain and toss with sauce.