Sicilian Orange JamTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Category: Sauces and marinades
Prep Time: 30 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Breakfast/Brunch Kid-Friendly Vegetarian Picnic Make-Ahead Low-Fat Household Vegan
Posted By: ISC
Posted On: May 08, 2021
Number of Servings:
- 1 kilograms - Oranges with edible skin
- 700 grams - White granulated sugar
1. Gently rinse the oranges in cold water and set aside.
2. Prepare a large bowl with cold water (big enough to fit all the oranges in).
3. Using a fork gently pierce the skin of each orange (just the skin!) all over, around 10-15 times.
4. Place the orange in the bowl of cold water and repeat with the remaining oranges.
5. Cover with a plate and leave over night to soak (at least 12 hours - 24 hours)
6. The Next day when you are ready, ensure you have at least 6 clean jam jars ready.
7. Drain the oranges from the water and dry a little with a tea towel.
8. Chop the whole oranges with the skin still on, into cubes of roughly 1-2cm. This doesn’t have
to be too precise as we will blend the jam during the end of the cooking.
9. In a large Steel Pot, place 700g of sugar with the chopped oranges, stir to combine the sugar
with the oranges.
10. Bring to a boil, and cook on medium heat for 15 mins.
11. Using a hand blender, blend the Jam mixture until the mixture becomes less lumpy. We don’t
want a totally smooth mixture, there should be still some lovely orange pieces visible.
12. Cook again for final 5 mins.
13. Pour the jam into each glass jam jar carefully, and fill almost to the top.
14. Twist on the lid tightly and immediately place upside down on the kitchen counter. Leave to
cool and then you can store the jam in the cupboard at room temperate for up to 6 months. Once opened store in the fridge.