Shrimp EtouffeTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Category: Fish or seafood
Prep Time: 0 min(s)
Cook Time: 35 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: Codfish
Posted On: Aug 08, 2019
Number of Servings:
- 2 tablespoons - Canola Oil
- 1/4 cups - Flour
- 2 tablespoons - Butter
- 1/2 cups - Diced Green Bell Paper
- 1/2 whole - Onion Save scraps
- 1/3 cups - Chopped Celery About 1-2 sticks
- 2 teaspoons - Minced Garlic Save scraps
- 1 teaspoons - Thyme
- 1 whole - Bay Leaf
- 1 cups - Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons - Creole Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoons - Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoons - Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 cups - Seafood Broth
- 1 pounds - Shrimp Reserve the shells
- 2 tablespoons - Chopped Parsley
- 2 whole - Chopped Green Onions
- 1 teaspoons - Hot Sauce
1. Add a teaspoon or 2 of butter or oil to a saucepan or skillet.
2. Throw in the shrimp shells, the remaining scraps of the onion, garlic, and celery together with aromatics like bay leaf and thyme. Saute for about 5-7 minutes, stirring constantly, to prevent any burns.
3. Add about 5 cups of water to it.
4. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and let it simmer for 20 minutes
5. Remove from heat and strain. Set stock aside.
1. In a large dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan combine melted butter, oil, and flour until smooth.
2. Cook on medium heat, stirring continuously, for about 10-12 minutes, until you have reached the desired color.
3. Add the onion, green bell pepper, and celery and cook for 8-10 minutes - stirring frequently
4. Add garlic, thyme, and bay leaf- continue stirring for about 2 minutes
5. Throw in the tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, paprika, and creole seasoning and let it cook for 5 minutes
6. Gradually pour in 2 cups of the shrimp stock, bring to a boil and let it simmer. Add the shrimp, simmer for 5 more minutes. You may also season the shrimp with creole seasoning and saute it for about 5 minutes instead of boiling it in the pot.
7. Adjust the thickness/flavor of the soup with more broth or water, hot sauce, and salt.
8. Serve over hot cooked rice!