Scalloped TomatoesTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Prep Time: 0 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
I used whatever bread I had in the freezer
Posted By: gardner.marilyn
Posted On: Dec 28, 2020
Number of Servings:
- 2 cups - (1/2-inch diced) bread from a French boule, crusts removed
- 16 - plum tomatoes, cut 1/2-inch dice (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 - tablespoon minced garlic (3 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons - sugar
- 2 teaspoons - kosher salt
- 1 - teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 - cup julienned basil leaves, lightly packed
- 1 - cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- - olive oil
Preheat oven to 350.
Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large (12 inch) saute pan over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and stir to coat with the oil. Cook over medium to medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring often, until the cubes are evenly browned.
Meanwhile, combine the tomatoes, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. When the bread cubes are done, add the tomato mixture and continue to cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Off the heat, stir in the basil.
Pour the tomato mixture into a shallow (6 to 8 cup) baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with the Parmesan cheese and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes until the top is browned and the tomatoes are bubbly. Serve hot or warm.