Sauteed Mackerel with Peas, Garlic and EggTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Seared mackerel nestled in a mound of English peas
Category: Fish or seafood
Prep Time: 25 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: wsjrecipes
Posted On: May 19, 2012
Number of Servings:
- 4 - Mackerel Fillets 4-oz each
- - Salt to taste
- 1 - Orange zested
- 1 - Lemon zested and juiced
- 1 heads - Green Garlic thinly sliced
- 6 tablespoons - Olive Oil
- 2 whole - Eggs
- 2 cups - Shucked Peas (or thawed frozen peas)
- 3 cloves - Garlic thinly sliced
- 1 cups - Cilantro Sprigs washed and dried
1) Season fillets with salt, orange zest, lemon zest, green garlic and 2 tablespoons oil. Let rest 15-20 minutes. Fill a small pot and a kettle with water and bring both to boil.
2) Place eggs, taken straight from the refrigerator, in pot of boiling water. Cook 8 minutes. Transfer eggs to an ice bath. Once cool enough to handle, peel and halve eggs. Set aside.
3) In a medium saute pan, heat 2-3 tablespoons oil with sliced garlic over medium-low heat. Once garlic begins to turn golden, add peas and a good splash of hot water from the kettle. About half the peas should be submerged in cooking liquid. Cook over medium heat, while stirring, until peas are heated through and plump, 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and lemon juice, to taste. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm.
4) Set a large pan with 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Cook marinated mackerel in hot pan, skin side down until cooked through, about 2 minute a side.
5) Serve fillets over peas. Garnish with cilantro sprigs and top each plate with half an egg. Season with extra salt and lemon juice, to taste.