Roasted Pumpkin Black Bean ChiliTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Pork, pumpkin, and black bean chili; can be served in pumpkin.
Prep Time: 45 min(s)
Cook Time: 120 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: MarySue
Posted On: Jun 01, 2020
Number of Servings:
- 6 tablespoons - olive oil
- 3 pounds - lean, boneless pork cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 - large onion minced
- 4 cloves - garlic minced
- 1 - yellow pepper seeded and diced
- 1 cans - 13.75 oz. beef broth
- 2/3 cups - cream sherry or cooking sherry
- 1 cans - 14.5 oz. stewed tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons - chili powder
- 1 teaspoons - dried oregano
- 1 tablespoons - ground cumin
- 1 tablespoons - brown sugar
- 1 cans - 15 oz. pureed pumpkin
- 2 cans - black beans
- 1 - pumpkin
- - shredded sharp cheddar cheese for serving with
- - toasted pumpkin seeds for garnish
- - sliced scallions for garnish
Allow 3 hours to make this. (To serve chili inside the pumpkin, see below instructions).
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot and brown pork in batches over medium-high heat, adding more oil as needed. Once the pork is browned on all sides, remove it from the pot and set it aside.
Add onion, garlic and chopped pepper to the pot ;saute for about 10 minutes. Stir in broth, sherry and tomatoes. Add spices, cayenne pepper and salt to taste. Stir well.
Add pumpkin puree, stirring until smooth. Add black beans and browned pork. Bring to a simmer and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Ladle hot chili into serving bowls. Top with cheese, seeds and scallions.
To Serve in Pumpkin:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut the top off the pumpkin and reserve. Scrape out the seeds (reserve) and strings and brush inside with remaining 2 tablespoons of oil.
Set pumpkin in a large roasting pan filled with 2 inches of water. Replace the top and bake until shell is tender, 1 to 1-1/4 hours.
Meanwhile, wash pumpkin seeds to remove strings and drain. Sprinkle seeds in a single layer on a cooking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until brown. Cool and use for garnish.
Ladle hot chili into pumpkin and serve.