Roasted Chicken "Tagine" with Dates, Olives, and LemonTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Prep Time: 0 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Serve with warm flatbread and/or couscous
Posted By: gardner.marilyn
Posted On: Jan 20, 2023
Number of Servings:
- 3 tablespoons - extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 2 teaspoons - kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoons - tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoons - ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoons - sweet paprika
- 3/4 teaspoons - finely ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons - ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoons - ground cinnamon
- 3 pounds - bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces (legs, thighs, breasts, or a combination)
- 1/2 pounds - carrots, halved lengthwise (or quartered, if thick)
- 1/2 pounds - sweet potatoes, cut lengthwise into 3/4-inch-thick wedges
- 1 - lemon, quartered
- 1/2 cups - (about 3 ounces) pitted dates, sliced
- 1 cups - mixed olives (with or without pits)
- 1/2 cups - torn fresh herbs (cilantro, mint, parsley, or a combination), for serving
Place a rack in the center of the oven and heat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1 1/2 teaspoons of the salt, the tomato paste, turmeric, paprika, pepper, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and rub the paste all over them, including under the skin. Arrange the chicken on a rimmed sheet pan.
In the same bowl (you don?t need to wash it first), toss together the carrots, sweet potatoes, remaining 1 tablespoon oil and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Arrange the vegetables on the sheet pan with the chicken. Add the lemon quarters to the pan. Roast for 20 minutes.
Remove the sheet pan from the oven, then scatter the dates and olives in an even layer around the chicken among the vegetables. Drizzle with a little more oil, then return to the oven and roast until the chicken is cooked through, another 10 to 15 minutes for the white meat, and 15 to 20 minutes for the dark meat.
To serve, transfer the chicken to a platter and spoon the vegetables, dates, and olives next to it. Squeeze with the roasted lemon and scatter with the herbs.