Red Lentil SoupTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Healthy Middle Eastern soup.
Red lentils (can be found at Middle Eastern markets)
Prep Time: 0 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
This can be adapted for vegetarians. To do so, substitute vegetable bouillon for chicken buillon. Also, in the sauce, sub olive oil for the butter.
Posted By: mamakjking
Posted On: Nov 07, 2012
Number of Servings:
- 1 cups - Red lentils Pick over to check for small pebbles, etc.
- 6 cups - Water
- 1 whole - Medium to large onion, to taste Chopped
- 1 whole - Medium carrot Peeled & grated
- 2 cubes - Chicken bouillon
- - Salt, to taste
- - Sauce (recipe below)
- whole - Lemon slices, for serving
- 1 1/2 tablespoons - Butter For sauce
- 1 tablespoons - Flour For sauce
- 1 tablespoons - Tomato paste For sauce
- 1 cloves - Garlic Crushed, for sauce
- 1 teaspoons - Dried mint flakes For sauce
- 1/2 teaspoons - Crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste For sauce
- - Salt & pepper, to taste For sauce
- 2 cups - Water For sauce
1. Place lentils in a strainer and rinse under cold water to remove excess starch. Rinse until the water runs clear. Put the lentils into a large pot; add the 6 C water, onion, carrot, bouillon cubes and a touch of salt. Bring to a boil, and skim off any scum that rises to the top. Simmer until lentils are very soft, almost falling apart, about 1 hr. or more as needed.
2. FOR SAUCE: In a separate saucepan, heat the butter; whisk in the flour and stir vigorously for about 30 sec. Do not allow the flour to burn. Add the tomato paste, garlic, dried mint, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
3. Saute this mixture for 2 to 3 min.. then stir in the 2 C water. Add this mixture to the lentils and continue to cook, stirring, for several minutes over medium heat. Serve, garnished w/ slices of fresh lemon, to be squeezed into the soup.