Orzo and Rice with Feta and ShrimpTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
A 30-minute meal with lots of Greek flavor.
Category: Main Dish
Prep Time: 30 min(s)
Cook Time: 25 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: mcarr
Posted On: Jul 22, 2018
Number of Servings:
- 1 tablespoons - butter
- 1/4 cups - orzo or broken spaghetti noodles
- 1 cups - white long-grain rice
- 1 3/4 cups - chicken stock
- 1 - onion finely chopped
- 1 - small green or red bell pepper seeded and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons - olive oil
- 1 pounds - peeled, deveined large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons - chopped fresh oregano OR 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves - garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoons - crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cups - dry vermouth or white wine
- 1 - lemon juiced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3 - plum tomatoes or 2 tomatoes on the vine seeded and diced
- 1 cups - fresh flat-leaf parsley coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cups - crumbled feta cheese plus more, as desired
- 1/2 cups - pitted kalamata olives chopped
- 3 tablespoons - chopped or sliced hot pepperoncini peppers or more to taste
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add orzo, and cook, stirring often until golden brown (2 to 3 minutes).
Add the rice; season with salt and pepper. Add the stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for about 12 minutes.
Add onion and bell pepper; cook until rice is tender, about 5 minutes more. Remove from heat; fluff with a fork. Transfer to a shallow bowl.
Meantime, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and season with salt. Cook, turning once, until shrimp are pink, lightly browned at edges, and opaque in centers (about 3 minutes).
Add oregano, garlic, crushed red pepper; cook, tossing often, until fragrant, for about 2 minutes. Add vermouth. Cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat; add lemon juice.
Mix tomatoes, parsley, feta, olives and pepperoncini into the rice; top with shrimp and serve.