Olive Brine Marinated Chicken with Date RelishTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 5
One pan roasted chicken dinner full of flavor from the olive brine.
Prep Time: 60 min(s)
Cook Time: 40 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: gardner.marilyn
Posted On: Aug 07, 2022
Number of Servings:
- Chicken and Marinade
- - zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves - garlic, finely grated
- 1/3 cups - olive brine
- 1/4 teaspoons - crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 sprigs - tarragon, leaves picked, chopped, divided
- 1 teaspoons - Diamond Crystal or 1/2 tsp. Morton kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 4 - skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 lbs.)
- 1 tablespoons - extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 - small red onion, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds - medium carrots, scrubbed, cut on diagonal into 3-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons - sumac
- - freshly ground black pepper
- Relish and Assembly
- 1 - small red onion, thinly sliced
- - zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 6 - firm Medjool dates, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cups - coarsely chopped pistachios
- 1/3 cups - coarsely chopped tender herbs (such as tarragon, parsley and/or chives)
- 1/4 cups - green olives, pitted, coarsely chopped
- - kosher salt
In a medium bowl, stir together lemon zest and juice, garlic, olive brine, red pepper flakes, half of tarragon, and 1 tsp. Diamond Crystal or ½ tsp. Morton kosher salt.
Score the flesh side of the chicken thighs with two or three ½"-deep slits. Add chicken to marinade and turn to coat. Let sit at room temperature 30 minutes or cover and chill for up to 3 hours.
Place a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 425° F.
Heat oil in a large oven-proof skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade, letting excess drip back into bowl, and place chicken pieces, skin side down, in skillet; season with salt. Cook, undisturbed, until skin is browned and crisp, about 5–8 minutes. Turn chicken over, season other side with salt, and transfer to a plate.
Add red onion, carrots, sumac, and remaining tarragon to skillet. Season with salt and pepper and stir to coat onion and carrots in fat.
Return chicken to skillet, arranging skin side up.
Transfer skillet to oven and roast until carrots are crisp-tender and chicken is cooked through (an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part should register 165°F), about 20–25 minutes. Transfer to a platter and let rest for 5–10 minutes.
RELISH AND ASSEMBLY
While the chicken is resting, toss together the red onion, lemon zest and juice, dates, pistachios, herbs, and olives in a medium bowl until combined. Season with salt.
Spoon relish over chicken to serve.