Okra & Tomato PirlauTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Refined southern dish
Prep Time: 20 min(s)
Cook Time: 15 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: wsjrecipes
Posted On: Jul 14, 2012
Number of Servings:
- 1 tablespoons - Olive Oil
- 3 - Slab Bacon cut into 1/4- inch dice
- 1 cups - Sweet Onion Vidalia, sliced
- 1/2 cups - Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 cloves - Garlic smashed and chopped fine
- 2 sprigs - Thyme
- 2 leaves - Bay Leaves
- 14 - Canned Tomatoes chopped
- 2 1/2 cups - Water
- - Kosher Salt
- 2 cups - Okra stems removed, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cups - Basmati Rice
- - Black Pepper
- - Fresh Basil Leaves torn or sliced into ribbons (garnish)
- - Country Ham or Prosciutto Slivers optional
1) In a deep pot, warm oil over medium heat. Once hot, saute bacon until soft but not crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
2) Stir onion and pepper into pot. Cook over medium-low heat until soft, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, thyme and bay leaves. Cook until fragrant but not colored, about 1-2 minutes.
3) Stir in tomatoes and their juices, water and a pinch of salt. Increase heat and bring to a simmer. Stir while roughly smashing tomatoes.
4) Add okra and rice. Stir, cover, and cook at a gentle simmer until rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Add extra splashes of water, as needed.
5) Season with pepper and salt, to taste. Stir in reserved bacon. To serve, garnish each plate with basil ribbons and ham, if using.