Longhorn Copycat Macaroni & CheeseTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Creamy macaroni & cheese
Prep Time: 60 min(s)
Cook Time: 60 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
I added the bacon to the recipe... totally optional.
Posted By: myrealtopia
Posted On: Feb 17, 2014
Number of Servings:
- 1 pounds - penne rigata
- 4 cups - half & half
- 4 tablespoons - unsalted butter
- 6 tablespoons - all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons - smoked paprika, plus more for garnishing
- - sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4 ounces - Gruyere cheese grated
- 16 ounces - sharp white Cheddar cheese grated
- 6 ounces - Fontina cheese grated
- 2 ounces - Parmesan-Reggiano cheese grated
- 1/4 - cooked bacon crumbled
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook at a rolling boil until just tender. Drain, rinse under cold water, drain again and set aside in a large bowl.
Bring the half and half just to a boil in a heavy saucepan and set aside. Meanwhile, melt the butter in another heavy saucepan. Add the flour, and whisk over low heat for 5 minutes. Do not brown. Remove from the heat. Add the hot liquid to the flour mixture, and whisk well. Add the paprika, season with the salt and pepper, and return the pan to a low heat. Add half of all of the cheeses and stir until combined. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens; about 5 minutes. Add sauce to the pasta. Toss well to coat completely.
Coat a large baking dish/casserole with olive oil, and fill it with half of the sauced pasta. Distribute half of the remaining cheese evenly over the pasta. Repeat layering. Place the dish on a baking sheet, and bake in a preheated oven until hot, lightly browned and bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes.