King Ranch CasseroleTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
King Ranch chicken casserole aka Lord of the Potluck.
Prep Time: 60 min(s)
Cook Time: 75 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Adapted from The Pastry Queen, by Rebecca Rather. Ten Speed Press. © 2004 by Rebecca Rather and Alison Oresman.
Posted By: jkandsf2d
Posted On: Jul 08, 2022
Number of Servings:
- 1/2 cups - unsalted butter
- 1 - yellow onion chopped
- 1 - red bell pepper chopped
- 8 ounces - button mushrooms sliced
- 4 cloves - garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoons - chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoons - cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoons - salt
- 1 teaspoons - black pepper
- 1 cups - all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups - chicken stock
- 1/2 cups - heavy cream
- 3 - mild green chilies roasted, peeled, diced, stems and seeds discarded
- 1 cans - 10 oz. Ro-Tel (diced chilies and tomatoes)
- 18 - corn tortillas
- 1 - chicken - meat shredded cooked (poached or roasted)
- 1 cups - Jack cheese shredded
- 1 cups - cheddar cheese shredded
Melt the butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the vegetables and sauté on medium-low heat for about 7 minutes.
Stir in the chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and stir until the white is no longer visible. Whisk in 3 cups of the stock, 1 cup at a time, until smooth. Whisk in the cream and stir in the chilies and tomatoes.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with butter.
Pour remaining 1/2 cup of stock into a bowl. Stack the tortillas in the bowl, 6 at a time, to moisten, then line the bottom of the pan with the tortillas, making sure they overlap each other by about one third. Cover the tortillas with half the sauce. Add half the chicken and sprinkle with a third of the cheese. Add a second layer of soaked tortillas, the remaining sauce and chicken, and another third of the cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas and cheese.
Bake for about an hour, until bubbling and lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.