Hearty Macaroni and CheeseTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Low fat cottage cheese makes this a good nutritional choice
Prep Time: 15 min(s)
Cook Time: 30 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: mcarr
Posted On: Mar 01, 2012
Number of Servings:
- 12 ounces - elbow macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups - low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoons - all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups - low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoons - salt
- 1/4 teaspoons - freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoons - cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups - cheddar cheese shredded
- 2/3 cups - scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons - dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons - plain dried bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoons - vegetable oil
Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a shallow 1.5-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Heat a large pot of water to boiling, and cook the macaroni until just tender. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl.
Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, puree the cottage cheese until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside.
Place the flour in a large saucepan over medium heat, and gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil and whisk in the salt, pepper, and cayenne. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 4 minutes. Whisk in the cottage cheese puree, 1.25 cups of the Cheddar, the scallions, and mustard until well combined. Cook, whisking constantly, just until the Cheddar has melted, about 1 minute longer. Add the cheese mixture to the macaroni and toss to combine.
Spoon the macaroni mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Cheddar on top. Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the cheese, drizzle the oil over, and bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is crusty and lightly browned.