Garlic-Baked Blue CrabsTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Crabs with oregano, basil, and pullman loaf
Category: Fish or seafood
Prep Time: 10 min(s)
Cook Time: 20 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
When preparing crabs, be sure to stun them, either with a blast of hot water or by soaking them in ice-cold water. It'll make them easier to deal with. They can be fast and their claws aren't that forgiving.
Posted By: wsjrecipes
Posted On: Apr 24, 2012
Number of Servings:
- 2 tablespoons - Butter melted
- 1 tablespoons - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons - Garlic minced
- 1 cups - Dry White Wine
- 1 tablespoons - Fresh Oregano
- pinchs - Salt to taste
- pinchs - Black Pepper to taste
- 24 whole - Blue Crabs cleaned
- 8 slices - Pullman loaf
- 1/4 cups - Fresh Basil roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375. To a saucepan on medium heat, add butter and olive oil. Add garlic and saute until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add wine, oregano and salt and pepper, to taste. Return pan to heat and saute contents for another 1-2 minutes. If you happen to have saved the roe from the crabs, add it to the hot pan, mixing it in evenly with the contents.
2. Place cleaned crabs on a baking sheet, belly-up. Spoon contents of garlic and oil mixture evenly onto each crab. Place baking sheet in oven and bake until meat becomes bright white and claws turn red in color, about 20 minutes.
3. When crabs are nearly cooked, toast bread slices in the toaster oven until they are a light golden brown, about 3 minutes.
4. When crabs are ready, transfer them to a platter. Top generously with chopped basil. Serve with toasted bread on the side for dipping. Be sure to give your guests bowls for discarded crab shells.