Filo Tomato TartTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
A stunning and simple tart - perfect as a party hors d'ouevre or a picnic entree; tomatoes, onion, mozzarella and parmesan with thyme baked on filo dough crust.
Prep Time: 35 min(s)
Cook Time: 35 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: gardner.marilyn
Posted On: Dec 30, 2019
Number of Servings:
- 7 - sheets filo dough thawed
- 5 tablespoons - unsalted butter melted
- 7 tablespoons - grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 cups - very thinly sliced onion
- 1 cups - shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 - Roma tomatoes cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 1 tablespoons - fresh thyme leaves
- - salt and freshly ground black pepper
Note: Cut tomatoes very thin so juice evaporates while baking; otherwise dough will be soggy.
Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray paper with cooking oil spray (or brush lightly with vegetable oil).
Lay 1 sheet filo on paper and brush lightly with a little melted butter. Sprinkle all over with 1 tablespoon Parmesan. Repeat layering 5 more times (with filo, butter and Parmesan) pressing each sheet firmly so it sticks to sheet below. Lay the last filo sheet on top, brush with remaining melted butter, and sprinkle on remaining tablespoon of Parmesan.
Scatter onion across filo, top with mozzarella, and arrange tomato slices in a single layer, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with thyme and salt and pepper to taste.
Bake until filo is golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool 10 minutes, then serve.