Dark Fruitcake CookiesTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Ginger cookies with dried cherries, dates, citrus peel and pecans or walnuts.
Category: Cookies and Brownies
Prep Time: 20 min(s)
Cook Time: 10 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
This dough freezes well, so you can roll the into balls and freeze them, then let thaw for 1/2 hour and bake as usual when ready to eat; may take 1 or 2 extra minutes when baking.
Posted By: Keeley
Posted On: Jan 06, 2022
Number of Servings:
- 3/4 cups - softened room temperature butter
- 1/2 cups - packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cups - white sugar
- 1/4 cups - molasses
- 1 - egg
- 2 cups - flour
- 2 teaspoons - baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons - salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons - ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons - ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons - ground ginger
- 1/2 cups - chopped glace cherries
- 1/2 cups - chopped dates
- 1/2 cups - mixed glace citrus peel or glace fruit mix
- 1/2 cups - roughly chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, mix beat together the butter, brown sugar, white sugar and molasses until well blended.
2. Beat in the egg for an additional minute.
3. Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger and fold into the molasses mixture. Fold in all of the fruit and nuts if you are using them. Cover, and chill dough for a couple of hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
5. Roll dough into 1-inch sized balls. Place cookies 2 1/2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets, lined with parchment paper or silicone baking liners. Press down slightly with the bottom of a water glass; you can dip the water glass in a little flour to prevent it from sticking to the dough.
6. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow to rest on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool.
7. This dough freezes well, so you can roll them into balls and freeze them, then take them out of the freezer, let thaw for a 1/2 hour and bake as usual. They make take an extra 1 or 2 minutes in the oven this way but you can make a many or as few as you like at any time.