Chopped Salad with Apples, Walnuts and Blue CheeseTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
This chopped salad is chock full of delicious treats including dried cranberries and candied walnuts, a wonderful choice for a late dinner if wanting something light.
lettuce and spinach
Prep Time: 20 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: smagness1
Posted On: Feb 20, 2017
Number of Servings:
- 3 cups - baby spinach leaves chopped
- 3 cups - romaine lettuce hearts chopped
- 2 strips - thick cut bacon cooked, chopped
- 1 - granny smith apple peeled, cored, chopped
- 1/3 cups - dried cranberries
- 1/2 cups - glazed walnuts instructions below
- 1/3 cups - crumbled blue cheese
- - salt and pepper
- 1/2 - medium shallot finely chopped, about 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 cups - olive oil
- 2 tablespoons - apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoons - dijon-style mustard
- 1 tablespoons - honey
- 1 cups - shelled walnuts
- 1/4 cups - light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons - water
- 1/8 teaspoons - salt
For dressing, whisk the chopped shallot, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard and honey together in a small bowl and set aside.
Combine the spinach, romaine, bacon, apple, dried cranberries and glazed walnuts in a large salad bowl. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Whisk the dressing again, pour over the salad and toss to combine. Add the blue cheese and a little extra cracked black pepper and toss again. Serve immediately.
For glazed walnuts: In a microwave-safe bowl combine brown sugar, water, and salt; stir to combine. Add walnuts and stir to coat. Microwave on high for 2-1/2 minutes; stir and return to microwave for 15 second intervals until the sugar develops a thick, taffy-like consistency. Be careful not to overcook. Transfer nuts to a parchment lined plate to cool, separating them as best you can; be careful - they will be very hot!