Chilled Soba with Pickled Watermelon and Tomato Miso VinaigretteTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Watermelon-rind pickle is addictive, while the white miso brings out the sweetness of the tomatoes
Prep Time: 45 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: wsjrecipes
Posted On: Aug 11, 2012
Number of Servings:
- 1/2 cups - Sugar
- 3/4 cups - Rice-Wine Vinegar plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 cups - Mirin plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 - Watermelon Wedge about 2.5 pounds
- 1 - Large Heirloom Tomato cored
- 1 teaspoons - White Miso
- 3/4 cups - Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cups - Canola Oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 cups - Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoons - Sambal Chili Sauce or sriracha
- 1 blocks - Firm Tofu
- 1 packages - Dry Soba Noodles
- 1 pints - Sunflower Sprouts
- 2 - Scallions julienned
- 1/4 cups - Unsalted Sunflower Seeds toasted
- 1/4 cups - Crispy Fried Shallots
- 8 cups - Water
- 1 - Star Anise
- 1/8 teaspoons - Coriander Seed
- - 1-inch Cinnamon Stick
- 2 leaves - Lime Leaves
- 3 - Thai Chili Peppers or serrano or jalapeno
- 1 tablespoons - Salt
1. Make watermelon pickle: In a large pot, set water, star anise, coriander, cinnamon, lime leaves (or zest), chili peppers, salt, sugar, ¾ cup vinegar and ½ cup mirin to boil. While pickling solution heats, cut watermelon. Using a sharp, thin-bladed knife, remove green outer skin of watermelon rind and red flesh from watermelon wedge. Cut white rind into 1-inch pieces. When pickling solution is boiling, add chopped rind. Boil until rind softens slightly and begins to appear translucent, 10-15 minutes more. Remove rind to a container. Add pickling brine until just covered and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Make tomato-sesame vinaigrette: Combine tomato, remaining vinegar, remaining mirin, miso, ¼ cup sesame oil and ¼ cup neutral oil. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate.
3. Make the tofu: Combine soy sauce, remaining sesame oil and sambal. Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes and coat with soy dressing. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
4. Cook soba according to package directions. Rinse in cold water. Drain.
5. Toss soba with sunflower sprouts, scallions, ½ cup drained watermelon pickle and ½ cup tomato-sesame vinaigrette.
6. Remove tofu from marinade and blot dry with paper towels. Toss tofu with sunflower seeds. Add to soba. Sprinkle with crispy shallots and serve.