Chilled Cream of Beet Soup (Crema Fria "Rosa Mexicano")Tell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Excellent summer cold soup!
Prep Time: 0 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: mamakjking
Posted On: Oct 07, 2012
Number of Servings:
- 2 whole - Large beets Peeled & quartered
- 1 tablespoons - Salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 cups - plus 2 T freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 1/2 cups - Cold water
- 1 cups - Cold vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 bunches - Cilantro, plus addl. leaves for garnish
- 4 whole - Jalapeno peppers, with seeds, optional
- - Heavy cream, for garnish
- - Tortilla croutons, for garnish
1. Trim beet greens at the base of the beet. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add beets. Reduce heat and cook uncovered at a low boil for about 30-40 min or until tender. Test the beets by inserting a knife; if the beets are tender, they are ready to be drained.
2. Drain, cut into medium pieces and chill for at least 2 hours.
3. Combine chilled beets, salt, lime juice and water and blend for about a minute. Slowly add 1 C of cold broth, continuing to puree for another minute. Add 1/4 bunch cilantro and jalapeno and puree until smooth. Taste and add more salt, if needed.
4. Chill the soup and ladle into chilled bowls. Garnish w/ swirl of heavy cream (drag swirl or dots w/ the tip of a toothpick), tortilla croutons and cilantro leaf.