Chicken Pot PieTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Southern traditional recipe for this comfort dish.
Prep Time: 40 min(s)
Cook Time: 120 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: smagness1
Posted On: Feb 04, 2017
Number of Servings:
- 4 pounds - bone-in, skin-on chicken breast halves
- 10 tablespoons - butter divided
- 6 - small red potatoes cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 - large carrots cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cups - pearl onions
- 1 cups - fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cups - chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoons - minced garlic
- 2 1/4 teaspoons - salt divided
- 1 teaspoons - ground black pepper divided
- 1 cups - frozen green peas
- 3/4 cups - all-purpose flour
- 3 cups - chicken broth
- 1 cups - heavy whipping cream
- 1 boxes - 15 oz. refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 - large egg lightly beaten
1. In a Dutch oven, combine chicken with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Cool chicken slightly; remove and discard skin and bones. Chop chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside.
2. In a Dutch oven, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add potatoes, carrots and pearl onions; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add corn, bell pepper, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
3. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add reserved chicken and green peas to vegetable mixture, stirring to combine. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. Preheat oven to 350° F.
5. In a large saucepan, melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook for 2 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually add hot chicken broth, whisking until smooth. Add cream, remaining 1 and 1/4 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, whisking to combine well.
6. Pour chicken broth mixture over chicken mixture, stirring to combine well. Spoon chicken mixture into an ungreased 3-1/2 quart casserole baking dish.
7. Unroll and stack pie crusts on a lightly floured surface. Roll into a 14-inch circle (or to fit casserole dish). Trim excess dough 1/2 inch beyond edge of casserole dish. Place prepared crust on top of chicken mixture. Fold edges under and crimp. Brush with egg. With a small knife, make an X-shaped slit in top of crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
8. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until browned and bubbly.