Chicken Muffuletta SandwichesTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Chicken, salami, olives, tomato, and eggplant with provolone cheese fill this hearty sandwich served on French bread loaves; a lighter version of a New Orleans favorite.
Prep Time: 30 min(s)
Cook Time: 15 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Per serving: Calories 329, Fat 8.2g, Sat. fat 2.8g, Monofat 2.7g, Polyfat 0.7g, Protein 21.7g, Carbohydrate 44.9g, Fiber 3.1g, Cholesterol 45mg, Iron 3.1mg, Sodium 1004mg, Calcium 96mg.
Posted By: mcarr
Posted On: Jul 07, 2015
Number of Servings:
- 3 cups - chopped seeded tomato (about 2 medium)
- 8 cups - diced peeled eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 1 1/2 cups - chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons - chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoons - black pepper
- 1 1/3 cups - chopped pimiento-stuffed olives (about 7 ounces)
- 1/4 cups - chopped pepperoncini (about 5 medium)
- 4 ounces - sharp provolone cheese, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 2/3 cups - (2 ounces) chopped reduced-fat hard salami
- 1 tablespoons - olive oil
- 1 tablespoons - balsamic vinegar
- 4 loaves - (8-ounces each) French bread
- 1 pounds - skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast, thinly sliced
Spread tomato evenly onto several layers of paper towels. Cover with additional paper towels, and allow to stand 10 minutes.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with some cooking spray. Add eggplant and onion; sauté 10 minutes or until eggplant is tender and beginning to brown.
Stir in thyme and pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Spoon eggplant mixture into a large bowl.
Coat pan with cooking spray again. Add tomato and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir tomato into eggplant mixture; allow to cool to room temperature.
Stir olives, pepperoncini, provolone, salami, olive oil and balsamic vinegar into eggplant mixture.
Cut French bread loaves in half horizontally. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread (using a fork to scrape away the bread), leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use.
Spread about 3 tablespoons olive mixture over bottom half of each loaf. Arrange chicken evenly on bottom halves. Top chicken evenly with remaining 3 tablespoons olive mixture; cover with top halves of loaves.
Wrap loaves with plastic wrap; refrigerate up to 24 hours. Cut each loaf into 3 pieces just before serving.