Chicken and Squash Stew with Wild RiceTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Chicken stew with squash, carrots and celery, and wild rice.
Prep Time: 20 min(s)
Cook Time: 80 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: Kaysue4
Posted On: Feb 26, 2017
Number of Servings:
- 8 - skinless, bone-in chicken thighs about 2 pounds
- 2 teaspoons - extra virgin olive oil
- 4 - medium carrots cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 ribs - celery cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves - garlic minced
- 1 - white onion diced
- 1 tablespoons - dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons - ground cumin
- - kosher salt optional
- 1/2 teaspoons - freshly ground pepper
- 2 pounds - butternut squash cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cups - wild rice well washed and drained
- 2 quarts - fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bunches - scallions white parts and 2 inches of green, minced
- 10 sprigs - fresh cilantro finely chopped
1. Remove all visible fat from the chicken. Rinse and pat dry. Set aside.
2. In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, celery, garlic and onion. Saute until the vegetables soften but do not brown, 5-6 minutes. Add the oregano, cumin, salt (if using), and pepper. Cook another 3-4 minutes.
3. Add the chicken to the pot along with squash and rice. Gently stir. Pour in the chicken broth, making sure it covers all the pieces. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer for about 1 hour, until vegetables and rice are tender.
4. Meanwhile, combine the scallions and cilantro.
5. Ladle the stew into 8 shallow bowls; sprinkle with scallions and cilantro.
6. You can freeze any remaining stew.