Chicken and Sausage GumboTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
A fantastic cajun gumbo, delicious on a cool winter evening.
Prep Time: 25 min(s)
Cook Time: 45 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
For seafood gumbo: prepare as above, except substitute 12 oz. frozen shelled shrimp and 6 oz. fresh or frozen crabmeat for the chicken. Thaw shrimp and crab, if frozen. Cut up crab. Cook roux 'til LIGHT reddish-brown. Add shrimp and crab during last 5 minutes of cooking. Substitute one teaspoon Cajun, blackening, or Essence seasoning for black, red pepper & garlic, if desired. Much more flavor & kick.
Posted By: charliecarr
Posted On: Sep 08, 2018
Number of Servings:
- 1/3 cups - all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cups - cooking oil
- 1/2 cups - chopped onion
- 1/3 cups - celery or green pepper chopped
- 4 cloves - garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoons - black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoons - ground red pepper
- 4 cups - chicken broth heated
- 8 ounces - andouille or smoked sausage cut in half and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups - sliced okra or 10 oz. frozen okra
- 2 - bay leaves
- 1 - large chicken breast skinless, boneless, diced
- 2 cups - hot cooked rice
- 1/2 teaspoons - Cajun or fajita seasoning
For roux, in a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven combine flour and oil 'til smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 10 minutes more or 'til roux is dark reddish-brown.
Stir in onion, celery or green pepper, garlic, black pepper and red pepper and fajita or Cajun seasoning. Cook over medium heat for 3-5 minutes or 'til vegetables are just crisp-tender, stirring often.
Gradually stir in HOT chicken broth (use whisk to combine thoroughly); stir in sausage, okra, and bay leaves. Add chicken. Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
Cover; simmer 20-3o minutes or 'til tender. Discard bay leaves. Serve over rice.