Chicken and OlivesTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Chicken breasts browned in a skillet and cooked with olives in a savory sauce.
Prep Time: 20 min(s)
Cook Time: 25 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: mcarradmin
Posted On: May 31, 2015
Number of Servings:
- 4 - boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 teaspoons - salt
- 1/2 teaspoons - black pepper
- pinchs - cayenne pepper or to taste
- 2 teaspoons - Italian seasoning or herbes de Provence
- 2 tablespoons - olive oil
- 1/4 cups - sliced shallots (about 2 shallots)
- 1/2 cups - pitted and sliced green olives
- 1/2 cups - brine-cured pitted olives, such as kalamata halved lengthwise and brine reserved
- 1 cups - chicken broth
- 1 - lemon, zest finely grated or slivered
- 3 tablespoons - lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoons - ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons - chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons - cold butter cut into bits
- - cooked rice or couscous optional, for serving
1. Sprinkle one side of chicken breasts with half of salt, black pepper and cayenne. Turn breasts over and sprinkle other side with herbes de Provence (or Italian seasoning) and remaining half of salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper. Turn again and let rest for 10 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a large lidded skillet over high heat. Put chicken in hot oil; reduce heat to medium-high and cook chicken until just well browned, about 5 minutes. Turn chicken over and cook until just browned on the other side (about 2 minutes more). Transfer to a plate (and do not clean the skillet).
3. Reduce heat to medium. Cook shallots in hot skillet, stirring until just softening and golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add green and black olives and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. Add broth and bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up browned bits from bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon. Add lemon zest and juice, 2 tablespoons of the reserved olive brine, and cumin. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring, until sauce is reduced by half, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Reduce heat to low and return chicken to skillet. Cover skillet and cook chicken until no longer pink in center and juices run clear (about 5 minutes - or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into center reads 165 degrees F). Transfer chicken to serving plates.
6. Remove skillet from heat, add parsley and butter, and swirl skillet until sauce is creamy and butter has melted. Spoon sauce over chicken.
Serve over rice or couscous, if desired.