ChallahTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
For five lb. bag of flour; Kosher by Design Saw online: divide by 5 for two loaves.
Category: Yeast breads
Prep Time: 0 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: emilykutsenok
Posted On: Oct 06, 2020
Number of Servings:
1/1 c. of warm water
4 (1/4 oz packages) active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
7 large eggs
2 c. sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
7 tsp salt
4 cups boiling water
1 5 lb bag unbleached AP flour or bread flour
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1. Place the warm water, yeast, and 1 tbsp sugar into a large glass measuring cup or bowl. set aside in a warm place (if kitchen is cold, put it on your opened oven door with the oven temp at 300)
2. Crack 7 large eggs into an 8-quart pot and mix. In a separate large bowl, combine the 2 cups sugar, oil, salt, and boiling water. Mix with a wooden spoon.
3. When yeast is proofed, add the yeast mixture into the egg mixture.
4. Add the sugar/oil mixture into the pot. Stir. Add the flour into the pot in 3 additions, mixing well between additions.
5. Sprinkle 1/2 cup flour on your kneading surface. Knead the dough for 10-15 minutes, adding flour to the surface as needed.
6. Divide dough between two large bowls. Wet a kitchen towel, ring out well, and use to cover the bowls.
7. Let the dough rise for 2-3 hrs. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
8. Divide the dough into 6-7 equal sized pieces. Divide each piece into 3 sections. Roll each section into a long strand. Braid the breads.
9. Let rise another 30 minutes or so.
10. Brush each loaf with beaten egg. Sprinkle with seeds.
11. Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.