Chabbad Challah (Two Loaves)Tell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Category: Yeast breads
Prep Time: 0 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
For a hot oven, start at 325 for 30 mins
Posted By: emilykutsenok
Posted On: Oct 06, 2020
Number of Servings:
4 ½ tsp. dry yeast (0.5 oz. / 14 grams)
2 tsp. sugar
2 cups warm water
½ cup honey
1/2 cup sugar
6 tbsp. oil
3 tsp. salt
Approximately 9 cups of bread flour (as always, add the flour slowly towards the end and feel if the dough needs more or less)
For the egg wash:
2 tbsp. honey
1 tbsp. vanilla
1) Dissolve yeast and sugar in ½ cup warm water in a medium-sized bowl. Let sit about 15 minutes until thick and frothy.
2) Add the eggs, honey, oil, salt, remaining 1½ cups of water, and half the flour. Mix until a loose batter forms. Add the rest of the flour slowly. You may not need it all, so go slowly towards the end. Alternatively, you may need slightly more. The dough should be soft but not sticky.
3) Once the dough has enough flour, knead it for a couple of minutes. I do this in the bowl. (You can do this recipe by hand or with a mixer.)
4) Cover the dough with a wet towel or plastic wrap and put it in a warm place to rise for about 1-1½ hours. Dough should double in size.
5) Punch the dough down and let it rest for 10 minutes.
6) Divide dough into two equal pieces. Each will be one loaf. Braid.
7) Place loaves on lightly greased pans and let rise for another 30-40 minutes.
8) Beat the egg with the honey and vanilla and gently brush over the loaves.
9) Bake at 375° F for approximately 35-45 minutes. Loaves should be golden on top, and firm on the bottom.