Carmelized Delicata SquashTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Spiced and salted winter squash, slow-simmered in brown sugar and butter.
Prep Time: 30 min(s)
Cook Time: 0 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: wsjrecipes
Posted On: Dec 08, 2012
Number of Servings:
- 2 tablespoons - Butter
- 4 tablespoons - Brown Sugar
- 2 - Delicata Squash ends trimmed
- 1/8 teaspoons - Cinnamon
- 1 pinchs - Fresh Black Pepper
- 1/8 teaspoons - Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- - Salt to taste
- 4 sprigs - Rosemary or Thyme plus extra, finely chopped, for garnish
- 2 cloves - Garlic
1. Set two large sauté pans over medium heat. Add half butter and half brown sugar to each pan.
2. Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Cut squash crosswise into ½-inch crescents. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, black pepper and nutmeg.
3. Once sugar liquefies and begins to bubble, distribute squash between the two pans, laying slices flat. Cook at a steady low simmer, flipping slices often, until squash tenderizes and caramel turns deep brown, about 20 minutes.
4. Season both sides of squash with salt and spice mixture. Continue to stew and turn squash until it is fork-tender and coated in caramel, another 5 minutes. Pull pans off heat and add half rosemary and garlic to each. Toss to combine and let cool slightly. Discard garlic and herb sprigs. Garnish with extra herbs, if desired. Serve immediately.