Broccoli Bacon Mac and CheeseTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
One-pan dish with hidden vegetables via butternut squash puree added for healthy creaminess.
Prep Time: 10 min(s)
Cook Time: 20 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Calories 339 Fat 10 g Satfat 5.7 g Monofat 2.8 g Polyfat 0.7 g Protein 18 g Carbohydrate 45 g Fiber 4 g Cholesterol 29 mg Iron 3 mg Sodium 566 mg Calcium 267 mg
Posted By: FoodChallenge
Posted On: Nov 23, 2016
Number of Servings:
- 2 slices - center-cut bacon
- 3 cloves - garlic
- 2 cups - unsalted chicken stock
- 1 cups - 1% low-fat milk
- 1 packages - (10-ounce) frozen butternut squash puree (OR mashed pumpkin or sweet potato)
- 10 ounces - uncooked large elbow macaroni
- 3 cups - chopped broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoons - salt
- 1/2 teaspoons - freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces - sharp cheddar cheese (about 1-1/4 cups)
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook 4 minutes or until crispy, turning at least once. Remove bacon from pan and set aside.
Remove all but 2 teaspoons bacon drippings from pan. Add garlic to drippings in pan; sauté for 30 seconds, just until fragrant.
Add chicken stock, milk, and squash puree to pan; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
Add pasta; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in broccoli; cover and cook 3 minutes or until pasta is done and sauce is thickened.
Stir in salt, pepper, and 4 ounces of cheese. Sprinkle bacon and remaining cheese on top.
Cover; let stand 1 minute before serving.