Black Bean Soup (Sopa de Frijoli)Tell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Vegetarian black bean soup made with coconut sour cream.
Prep Time: 20 min(s)
Cook Time: 45 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Make this recipe and the Black Bean Rice (Arroz Negro) together for a hearty meal. Recipe from Plant-based Guatemalan Cooking Class as instructed by Cordon Bleu Chef Mike Murdoch (Toronto) and hosted by Ottawa Circle.
Posted By: PlantingSeeds
Posted On: Sep 22, 2021
Number of Servings:
- 1 tablespoons - avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 - large onion diced
- 4 cloves - to 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cans - 398 mL black beans including liquid
- 3 cups - (710 mL) vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoons - (2.5 mL) sea salt or to taste
- - coconut sour cream for serving with
- - chopped cilantro or parsley for serving with
- - crumbled plant-based feta / regular feta / any salty hard cheese for serving with
- 1/4 cups - (60 mL) coconut milk
- 1 teaspoons - (5 mL) nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoons - (5 mL) apple cider vinegar
1. Heat oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2-3 minutes or until starting to soften.
2. Drain the cans of beans making sure to reserve the liquid. Set aside ½ cup of beans for the rice dish to be prepared later, if also making Black Bean Rice. (If not preparing the black bean rice, add all the beans to the soup and adjust the consistency with a little more vegetable broth if needed.)
3. Add broth, remaining beans (including their liquid) and salt. Bring to simmer.
4. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until onions and garlic are tender.
5. Using an immersion blender, partially puree the soup to desired texture. Alternatively, transfer 1-2 ladles of the soup to a traditional blender and blend until smooth; add back to the pot.
6. If the soup becomes foamy from blending, carefully skim off the foam with a spoon and discard. Reserve 1 cup of the soup to prepare the black bean rice.
7. For the coconut sour cream, combine coconut milk, yeast and apple cider vinegar.