Big Queer Cold NoodlesTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 5
Colorful summer produce and fresh ramen noodles.
Prep Time: 35 min(s)
Cook Time: 10 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Can be prepared ahead of time. Make the sauce, cook the eggs and slice the veg up to 4 hr in advance, then boil and shock the noodles in ice water just before serving.
Posted By: gardner.marilyn
Posted On: Jul 13, 2022
Number of Servings:
- 3 - large eggs
- - kosher salt
- 3 teaspoons - vegetable oil
- 1 cups - creamy peanut butter or tahini
- 3/4 cups - Taiwanese black vinegar (such as Kong Yen) or Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons - distilled white vinegar
- 1 tablespoons - demerara or raw sugar
- 1 tablespoons - soy sauce
- 4 cloves - garlic, finely grated
- 20 ounces - fresh lo mein or ramen noodles
- 1 - red bell pepper, cut into matchsticks
- 1 - small carrot, peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 3 - Persian cucumbers, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 - small head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cups - unsalted roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- - cilantro leaves with tender stems and chili crisp - for serving with
Whisk eggs in a medium bowl until no streaks remain; season with salt.
Heat 1½ teaspoons of oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Pour half of eggs into skillet and swirl to coat bottom. Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and cook eggs until set and surface appears dry, about 3 minutes. Carefully slide onto a cutting board. Repeat process with remaining eggs and 1½ teaspoons oil. Stack egg sheets, roll up tightly, and slice crosswise into thin strips.
Whisk together peanut butter, black vinegar, white vinegar, demerara sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and ½ cup water in a medium bowl until smooth. (The mixture will be stiff at first, but keep going. It will soon relax.)
Cook noodles in a large pot of boiling water according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water and let sit, swishing noodles occasionally, until cold, about 3 minutes.
Drain noodles and divide among bowls. Top with some strips of egg and some bell pepper, carrot, cucumber, and cabbage. Pour ½ cup sauce over each bowl; top with peanuts and cilantro. Serve with chili crisp alongside.