Asparagus and Pasta with Lemon SauceTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
Whole wheat penne noodles in a creamy lemon sauce with fresh asparagus.
Prep Time: 30 min(s)
Cook Time: 30 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: cookingmama
Posted On: Mar 03, 2013
Number of Servings:
- 4 ounces - whole wheat penne pasta about 1-1/2 cups
- 1/2 bunches - asparagus trimmed, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3/4 cups - whole milk
- 2 teaspoons - whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons - flour
- 1/8 teaspoons - salt
- 1/4 teaspoons - freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoons - extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons - garlic minced
- 1 teaspoons - minced fresh tarragon or 1/4 tsp dried
- 1/4 teaspoons - freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoons - lemon juice
- 1/2 cups - freshly grated parmesan cheese divided
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 6 minutes. Add asparagus and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and asparagus are just tender, about 3 minutes more. Drain and return to the pot.
Meanwhile, whisk milk, mustard, flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Whisk in the milk mixture. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly, and cook until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tarragon, lemon zest and juice.
Stir the sauce into the cooked pasta and place over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is thick, creamy and coats the pasta. Stir 1/4 cup Parmesan into the pasta until combined. Serve the pasta topped with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan.