Apple CrostadaTell a Friend
Rate this recipe:
Rating : 0
One of our family’s favorite dessert recipes from Maggiano’s restaurant.
Prep Time: 90 min(s)
Cook Time: 35 min(s)
Recipe Type: Public
Posted By: mcarr
Posted On: May 25, 2020
Number of Servings:
- 2 cups - all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cups - sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons - salt
- 2 sticks - unsalted butter (2 sticks = 1/2 pound or 1 cup)
- 4 1/2 tablespoons - ice cold water slightly more or less, as needed
- 5 tablespoons - sweet butter
- 1 cups - sugar
- 4 - large Granny Smith apples cored, peeled, sliced
- 1 1/4 tablespoons - cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons - nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons - corn starch
- - Crostada Dough recipe above
- - Heavy Cream
- - Turbinado sugar
1) In large sauté pan, melt butter until foaming and add sugar. Cook about 5 minutes until light brown and add the apples.
2) Cook until apples are slightly soft, and add spices -- mixing well. Add the corn starch and mix well, cooking one minute.
3) Remove filling and cool completely
1) With a knife, cut the butter into 1/4-inch cubes and keep cold.
2) Mix flour, sugar and salt together.
3) Add the butter to the dry ingredients. Pulse or mix briefly, until butter is in small pieces.
4) Add the ice water and mix. Stop before it is a solid mass. NOTE: it is better for the dough to be a little crumbly.
5) Press the dough together and form into one mass. Refrigerate at least one hour.
1) Roll crostada dough into 12-inch round circle on greased baking sheet or pizza stone.
2) Fill center with apple filling, leaving room around edges to fold up over filling.
3) Form crostada dough, folding edges toward center, using 8 folds to result in a center opening.
1) Brush the crust of the crostada with heavy cream.
2) Coat crust in crystallized sugar.
3) Bake in preheated 350 degree oven until brown and crisped (about 35-40 minutes).