Rate this recipe:
Prep Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 1 hour(s)
Number of Servings: 12
Easy recipe with lemon cake mix, lemon jell-o mix and lemon wafers.
Number of Servings:Only quantities of ingredients are changed; recipe Directions below will not reflect those changes.
1. In a large saucepan, combine water, sugar and jello mix. Bring to a boil and reduce to medium simmer, stirring occasionally. Slice the lemon rinds into small strips and add to simmering liquid.
2. In a 9-x-13-inch Pyrex dish, spray heavily with cooking spray and add the stick of butter. Place in microwave for 30 seconds. Coat the bottom of the pan with the melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar (use just enough brown sugar to coat the bottom of the pan - you might not need entire 2 cups for this).
3. Place Lemon Wafers, round side down, on top of brown sugar.
4. When the lemon, water, sugar and jello mixture begins to thicken, lower simmer until the mixture begins to look like very thin pancake syrup. Watch closely! Remove from heat and remove lemon strips. Allow to cool to room temperature. Add reserved lemon juice, to taste.
5. Chop lemon strips finely and reserve.
6. Drizzle cooled lemon syrup over the lemon wafers, reserving one cup of liquid to add to cake mix.
7. Make cake according to package directions, using reserved lemon syrup in place of water called for in the cake mix. Add chopped sweetened lemon strips to cake mix and pour over lemon wafers.
8. Bake at 350 degrees F for about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
9. Cool and enjoy with Blue Bell Vanilla Bean ice cream.