Rate this recipe:
Prep Time: 55 min
Cook Time: 25 min
Number of Servings: 10
Lemon layer cake with Amaretto-Almond filling and Fluffy Meringue Frosting.
Number of Servings:Only quantities of ingredients are changed; recipe Directions below will not reflect those changes.
Fluffy Meringue Frosting
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray 3 (9-inch) round baking pans with nonstick baking spray with flour.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, and lemon zest at medium speed with a mixer until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in lemon juice.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour and baking soda. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Stir in sour cream. Spoon batter into prepared pans.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool completely on wire racks.
5. Spread Amaretto-Almond filling between layers. Spread Fluffy Meringue frosting over top and sides of cake. Top cake with cake vase and flowers, if desired. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days (remove vase before serving).
1. In a small bowl, combine gelatin and 3 tablespoons cold water; let stand for 2 minutes or until softened.
2. In a small saucepan, bring 1/2 cup cream and liqueur to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute. Add gelatin mixture, whisking to dissolve. Remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, beat remaining 1-1/2 cups cream at medium speed with a mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. With mixer running, slowly add gelatin mixture, beating until combined. Beat in almonds. Cover and chill for 4 hours or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites at high speed with a mixer until stiff peaks form.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, cook sugar and 3/4 cup water over medium-high heat until mixture reaches 248° F on a candy thermometer. With mixer running at high speed, slowly pour hot syrup into egg whites. Beat mixture for 10 minutes until glossy, thick, white and fluffy. Use immediately.