Rate this recipe:
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Number of Servings: 1
Meringue topped coconut pie.
Number of Servings:Only quantities of ingredients are changed; recipe Directions below will not reflect those changes.
Mile High Meringue
In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cornstarch and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Set aside until ready to top pie.
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. In a large saucepan, combine 2 cups milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. Meanwhile, combine remaining 1 cup milk and cornstarch in a bowl. Add to hot milk mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens.
4. Add coconut, butter and vanilla. Cook and stir until mixture thickens again.
5. Pour into pie shell and top with meringue, swirling the meringue into soft peaks. Sprinkle additional coconut on top to garnish, if desired.
6. Bake until meringue is light brown around edges and coconut is toasted, approximately 8 minutes.