Rate this recipe:
Prep Time: 1 hour(s) 20 min
Cook Time: 28 min
Number of Servings: 12
Marbled vanilla and chocolate sheetcake topped with Mocha or Mocha Almond Frosting.
Number of Servings:Only quantities of ingredients are changed; recipe Directions below will not reflect those changes.
1. Preheat oven to 325° F. Beat butter and 1-1/2 cups sugar at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer for 4 to 5 minutes or until creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture alternately with half-and-half, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition, stopping to scrape bowl as needed.
3. Spoon 1-1/4 cups batter into a 2-quart bowl, and stir in cocoa, 3 tablespoons hot water and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until well blended.
4. Spread remaining vanilla batter into a greased and floured 15-x-10-inch jelly-roll pan. Spoon chocolate batter onto vanilla batter in pan; gently swirl with a knife or small spatula.
5. Bake at 325° F for 23 to 28 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack (about 1 hour). Spread top of cake with Mocha Frosting.
1. Whisk together sugar and cocoa in a medium bowl. Combine coffee and vanilla.
2. Beat butter at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar mixture alternately with coffee mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Beat in half-and-half, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth and mixture has reached desired consistency.
(For Mocha-Almond Frosting: Decrease vanilla extract to 1 teaspoon. Proceed with recipe as directed, adding 1/2 teaspoon almond extract to coffee mixture in step 1).